Dr. Ryan Nathe is a fellowship-trained joint replacement orthopaedic surgeon. His practice focuses on arthritis of the hip and knee. As well as initial joint replacements, Dr. Nathe's training includes complex revision of failed joint replacements. Dr. Nathe enjoys being able to return his patients to a more active lifestyle.
Dr. Nathe received his B.S. in Neurobiology and minor in Microbiology from the University of Washington. Following his undergraduate studies, Dr. Nathe earned his medical degree from New York Medical College in Valhalla, New York. After completing medical school, he then completed Orthopaedic residency at UC Davis in Sacramento, California. He then attended one of the top fellowships in the country, the Otto E. Aufranc Adult Reconstructive Fellowship at New England Baptist Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts.
Dr. Nathe was elected Administrative Chief Resident by his peers in residency. In addition, he was sent by his residency program director and attendings to the Emerging Leaders Conference sponsored by the American Orthopaedic Association. Dr. Nathe has also published on diverse topics in Orthopaedics including ankle injury repair techniques, Talus OCD lesions, multi-modal analgesia, and hand injuries in collegiate baseball players. Additionally, Dr. Nathe has lectured on outpatient total joint arthroplasty as well as pre-operative templating techniques in total joint arthroplasty.
I recently got married to my beautiful wife, Kim, in Cannon Beach, Oregon. I was born and raised in Yakima, Washington and we are very excited to be close to family and friends! In my free time I enjoy chasing steelhead, an anadromous rainbow trout, up and down the west coast with my spey rod in hand. I like to tie my own flies and build fly rods from blanks. We also enjoy supporting UW football, snow skiing, hiking, wakeboarding, and camping. In residency, I learned to abalone dive off the north coast of California. Whenever I get the chance, I like to escape to the great outdoors.
Education & Training
- B.S. in Neurobiology and minor in Microbiology from the University of Washington
- M.D. in New York Medical College in Valhalla, New York
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: UC Davis in Sacramento, California
- Otto E. Aufranc Adult Reconstructive Fellowship at New England Baptist Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts
- Nathe, Ryan MD; Nathe, Tyler MD; Shelton, Trevor MD; Szabo, Robert MD. “New NCAA Bat Standard, BBCOR, is associated with an Increased Incidence of Hamate Fractures.” Journal of Surgical Orthopaedic Advances. November, 2018, accepted for publication.
- Haffner, Max MD; Saiz, Augustine MD; Nathe, Ryan MD; Klineberg, Eric MD; Roberto, Rolando MD. “Preoperative Multimodal Analgesia Decreases 24-Hour Postoperative Narcotic Consumption in elective Spinal Fusion Patients.” The Spine Journal. July 2019, Vol. 19:
- Giza, Eric MD; Nathe, Ryan BS; Nathe, Tyler MD; Anderson, Matthew BS; Campanelli, Valentina BS (2012). “Strength of Bone Tunnel Versus Suture Anchor and Push-Lock Construct in Broström Repair.” The American Journal of Sports Medicine. June 2012, Vol. 40: 1419-1423.
- Giza, Eric MD; Nathe, Ryan BS; Kim, Jason MD (2010). “Talus Osteochondritis Dissecans: Treatment With Matrix-based Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation.” Techniques in Orthopaedics. December 2010, Vol. 25, No. 4: 231-236.
- White BD, Nathe RJ, Maris DO, Nguyen NK, Goodson JM, Moon RT, Horner PJ (2009). “β-Catenin Signaling Increases in Proliferating NG2+ Progenitors and Astrocytes During Posttraumatic Gliogenesis in the Adult Brain.” Stem Cells. February 2010, Vol. 28, No. 2: 297-307